Thursday, January 5, 2012

A New Start

A fresh start.
It's a new year, I have a new job, and some amazing new perspective on life.
Victoria's Secret hired me just before Thanksgiving and, despite my excitement toward working again, I hadn't really a clue about what was in store for me.  One might expect that a female-dominated work environment would lead to cattiness and backstabbing, but that couldn't be further from what I've experienced.  I certainly cannot say that all stores cultivate a similar environment; however, our store does set the bar higher for all the rest.

I really want to chronicle the happenings in my work life at this point because I deeply feel that the stigma towards jobs in retail still exist.  Whether we want to believe it or not, it's quietly cultivated and bred into the upcoming youth that these jobs don't cut it.  Truthfully, it boils down to how you choose to look at it.

My mother always told me that every job has valuable skills to teach you.  She also emphasized the importance of gaining work experience and the power that my personal connections will have on my future.  I'm not just talking about corporate networking skills, but our everyday approach to life.  How do we see the world upon waking up in the morning?  How do we deal with anger, and sadness, and loss?

These are much bigger questions that we need to learn to ask ourselves from time to time.  Questions that I don't think are being asked by most, subsequently postponing the need for a life crisis.  I've already had a few mini crises and I'd prefer not to have anymore.  So, here we go...

1 comment: